Benefits of Expanded Feed
Many scientific studies show that expander technology is an essential addition to a modern pelleting machine, as a useful tool to fulfill a wide range of customer needs in order to provide a different feed for every animal’s life stage.
In addition to traditional foods and pellets, breeders require cooked foods, expanded pellet and mono-components, processed to be used in TMR feed.
With regard to nutritional values and digestibility, the expander technology has achieved interesting results, in particular through its use in the fields of dairy cattle’s high-energy nutrition, broiler bran and pig feed.
Feed mixtures for piglets, feeding pigs, broiler and laying hens can be manufactured with the expander, with the following benefits:
- Pellet quality improved and higher pellet mill output.
- More liquids (fat or oil) can be included in high percentages (e.g. 15% fat, 15% molasses), without losing the pellet quality.
- Low percentage of fines.
- Increased digestibility thanks to the starches' hydrolyzation.
- Hygienic treatment: destruction of harmful germs.
- Fewer risks of mortality and diseases.
- Less down-times.
- Increased flexibility of production.
- Reduced production costs of granulated feed.
- Major durability before the consumption.
Added benefits for poultry:
- No problem of force feeding during summer periods. During winter periods, dosages can be increased obtaining excellent results.
- Less feed consumption because the feed is softer and lighter.
Added benefits for layers:
- Less feed consumption because the feed is softer and lighter with equal eggs laying.
- Elimination of salmonellae bacteria in the eggs.
Added benefits for small feeding piglets:
- Expanded feed with very small granulometry is the most suitable for small feeding pigs.
- Depending on its formula, the structure of the expanded material is shaped like dough, thick flakes or crumbles.